Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Moving Time

Well we did it. We finally moved to join Barrett in Oklahoma City. Wow, it was a really really emotionally difficult move. So much fear, insecurities, sadness and loss involved in one single move it was very overwhelming. The week before we moved was my brother's wedding which left me completely fried. The idea of spending the following week, what I might label as one of the hardest weeks of the summer, alone was beyond my emotional sanity! I called my mom and asked her to come to Abilene and help me. The biggest thing I needed help with I think was just having someone there through such a hard time. It really helped me to be the mom I needed to be for Oliver during this time. I can't say enough good things about having her there that week. I really really appreciated it. Of course in addition to the emotional help she proved to be an endless help in packing, cleaning and playing with Oliver. She seems to never tire of playing with him and taught him many hilarious things that he still holds onto even since we've moved. Another benefit to having her there was that we were able to take the time to say goodbye to our very good friends. The accompanying pictures are of his last play dates with his best friends. He also visited our neighbor friends the last week. Here is a picture of one of the many cool things our neighbor George has in his house, here he is teaching Ollie a bit about Poker.
Saturday came all too quickly and my mom headed back to New Mexico then Barrett and his parents headed into Abilene. The rest of the day was spent packing up the trailers and truck beds. Oliver had a really hard time with this. He whimpered alot and said heartbreaking things like, "No, put back my special things". We had been reading for several weeks prior to the move a book about moving house so we spend a couple quiet moments that day reading it again. Barrett and his dad went back to Oklahoma that same day and Barbara, Oliver and I had a nice dinner and spent our last night in our house in Abilene sleeping on make-shift beds on the floor. I'll leave out the part where I locked our only house key inside my un-impenetrable house (rescued by the spare keys from the landlady) and how we stayed up late cleaning the oven and the floors.
The next morning we dropped off Kerith's clothes (random other story) with her mom at her church, stopped by our church for Worship (including a song about surrendering yourself... pretty applicable), then on to take out our few remaining things and wait for the landlady. After that business we headed for our last trip to HEB and loaded up for lunch and snacks on the road. Then we set out for Oklahoma City. Getting here and setting up is a post for another day.
For more pictures you can check out this link...

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Pregnant and moving and weddings! Crazy. I can sympathize. I am so glad that you had your mom with you. SOunds like you really needed it. Family is great like that! Hope you are settling well.
    PS> Can you tell I 'm catching up on blogs today?

    ReplyDelete