Saturday, May 16, 2009

India Mart Find

This is so weird but the little things excite me they really do. Barrett was in Oklahoma this weekend and that means he was close to the "African and Asian market" next to City Bites by his parents house. I quickly drew up a list of things that I need because I can either not find it or it is too expensive at the grocery store. Here is what he brought home ---->
The spices are insanely cheaper, I can't find Urad Dal anywhere and Besan is chickpea flour that costs that same amount for a tiny bag here at our store.
The very first thing I did was open up the Urad dal because I have been dying to make ivory lentil pancakes from my Vegetarian Times magazine (thanks Randy). First things first, I had to soak the urad dal with some brown rice overnight. The next morning I pureed this in the blender and let it sit for 12 hours to ferment. Then I mixed in some baking soda and yogurt and the batter was done. You can really put anything on top but I went with what they had in the magazine: cilantro, peas and onions. Turned out good but I think it needs some sauce to dip. Next time I make curry these would be the perfect accompaniment.








1 comment:

  1. Hey, no time to read yet, but yep, we are still stateside until June 4th. We go to Dallas this weekend and LA for part of next week. Busy busy. :) Thanks for reading. I hope to catch up on yours soon!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete