I've been having this post float in and out of my head for a month now... I'm finally writing it down! Barrett and I watched We Were Soldiers a while back, which I only recommend if copious amounts of blood and gore don't bother you. Anyway story goes these American soldiers are pretty much losing against the enemy. In the last battle scene, exhausted and no doubt scared, the Americans face the final battle sorely outnumbered. They line up and attack and as they break through the front lines of the enemy they are overwhelmed with the numbers and preparedness of the enemy. Just as they come face to face with them from behind the American soldiers comes two American helicopters, the Americans drop and the helicopters take care of the rest.
Now this might sound insane but I nearly cry when I watch this because it is the perfect depiction of God's kingdom. We fight, we fight the enemy who is Satan daily. Even to the end of the world God's people while fight against the enemy, but we know that God is behind us, he is our support and Satan will never overtake us because we have the most powerful force on our side. The final battle belongs to the King of the World. I imagine us as the American soldiers tired and outnumbered, I imagine God coming from behind with legions of angels fighting on our behalf. I just love this visual image of it. Now last week at life group we were talking about this very thing. We were discussing that as God's people we live as servants and friends to the King. And just like a good king on earth, our King provides for his people. Whenever we face the enemy we have marked on us that we are part of God's kingdom, and that demands respect from the enemy because he trembles at God's power. We also carry with us the responsibility of representing our King, just like when we travel overseas and we represent America as it's citizens.
Here is the clip though all ye who don't like blood steer clear ;)
I love it! You're right the movie is hard to watch but I love your analogy!
ReplyDelete