With Jeanette Prince... starring... Jeanette Prince (duh!)
I love sharing my adventures in the kitchen... lets begin this episode with a cooking anecdote.
Yesterday I was cooking up some garbanzo beans which you know takes several hours. Of course you have to keep adding water as it cooks out and I frequently forget and burn the bottoms of my beans...well THAT'S NOTHING. Yesterday I checked my beans and they were almost out of water and I thought, "that's okay, I'm about to turn them off anyway because we are going to the park." and followed that up with, "well, I'll let them cook a second longer". Cue the gathering of socks, shoes, keys and cell phone, walk out to the garage, put Ollie in the bike seat, close the garage and bike happily for 30 minutes to the park, play at the park for at least an hour then bike ride 30 minutes back home. As I'm opening the front door I smell it... burned VERY burned beans... wait how did I know that, well frankly it isn't the first time this has happened. I opened the door and should have donned my firefighters mask because my living room was a complete wall of smoke (as was the rest of the house). So today we are laundering everything and carpet deodorizing the whole house... again. I told Barrett today it is actually maybe a good thing because every so often our house gets a good deep cleaning... c'mon we can see the silver lining right, or is that burned too?
A few of my latest recipes:
Olive, Tomato and Millet Stuffed Zucchini
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 TBL olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup millet pepper
4 medium zucchini
1/2 tsp each: rosemary, thyme, marjoram, basil and salt
1 tsp paprika
1 22 ounce can whole tomatoes (I use about 4 fresh Roma tomatoes)
2 cups broth
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1/4 cup capers
Saute the onions for 5-7 minutes, add the garlic for a few minutes. Add millet, herbs and spices, saute 3 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushing them as you put them in, throw in the broth (and tomato juice if you used canned ones). Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. In the meantime, cut the zuccs in half lengthwise: steam or boil them until soft. Remove the pulp making a little boat and add it to the millet mixture with olives and capers. Simmer about 5 more minutes. Place the zucchinis in a casserole dish and stuff them with mixture. (I top it with cheese). Bake for about 20 minutes at 350.
Sesame Bok Choy
1 small head of bok choy
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 TBL ginger
2 TBSP soy sauce (we use raw soy sauce, its wonderful)
1 TBL honey
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 TBL sesame seeds
a splash of some vinegar (I use white wine vingar)
Now the orginal recipe calls for this to be grilled in a baking pan on the grill, but we don't have a grill so I put it in the toaster oven on grill setting but basically you are going to bake it! Okay, slice up the bok choy (all of it, all parts), place it into a bowl w/ the green onions. Mix up the rest and pour over the top. Spread it all out in a baking pan, cook however (as mentioned before) for about 15 minutes

Great story... although sad that you lost your beans! Don't we all have some crazy kitchen stories? :) I'm also interested in your zucchini recipe, might try it out. - LIV
ReplyDeleteJeanette, I cant believe that you didn't tell me about your blog. It's wonderful. I looked at your portfolio and I'm in awe- I actually cried looking through the pics- AMAZING... I'm going to have to drive to Texas to take some lessons. Love ya T
ReplyDeleteP.S. Oliver is so handsome and you look marvelous:)